Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Don't judge a book by its cover

 I love to surround myself with old books!  There is something about the feel of them, the smell of them, the idea of how many people have read the very book before me and gained knowledge! I know I know I sound like a crazy person but each book feels like a bit of history to me. The old inscriptions, the notes in the margins (although I don't write in books myself).  Something about the way they have weathered the test of time makes them like little treasures to me!
I never talked bout this very much but a year or so after we got married, Hubby's grandmother died rather suddenly. It was a very sad time for hubby and for me (she was a very neat lady!)  We shared something in common, a profession in healthcare (she was a nurse) and when we helped go through her things, Hubby's family decided to bistow upon me some old medical books and medical encyclopedia's that she had kept since her early days working!
 These books are beautiful and I caught myself recently going through them as I did a little spring cleaning! These books are a treasure and will be in my home for years and years to come!

Aside from enjoying the aesthetic qualities of old books, I am an avid reader in general and can still remember reading my first chapter book "The Box Car Children" and spending many hours reading "Anne of Green Gables" and "Little Women" and the Entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy (after reading the Hobbit of course!)...... but there are a few classics that I have yet to read and that must be rectified immediately!  One book that I have told myself that I must read is:
I have wanted to read Anna Karenina for Ages but never quite found the time until now...... I found it free in my E-reader on my I pod and have no excuse!  I will read this book!   I know the picture above is an audio book but I promise I will actually READ it, not listen to it   :0)

1 comment:

  1. I've been revisiting some of the classics this year and reading some that I had missed earlier in my life - it is an eye-opening experience to read some of them with an adults perspective instead of a teen-age perspective. ENJOY!!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete